Friday, October 22, 2010

What do I do with my Dad?

I love my dad. But he always goes to my Grandmas house to drink. he's the sencond oldest of the 4.he used the excuse to see Grandma. But shes in arkansas with my uncle (the youngest) right now so he uses hes going over for a swim. Well my other uncle (3rd oldest) always direct connecting to him to come over and drink. I HATE IT. He needs too stop for his health. He had a cardiac arrest almost 2 years ago so now he has a defibrillator. Hes also supost to stop smokeing.

He's in a band and he's ok when he leaves but after practice when he comes home, he's trashed. And when my mom went to see him play out, they went over to the house and the drummers wife tells my mom too see if the brownies were done 'cause she doesn't know how to cook. So when my mom got in the house she smelt a mixture of marijuana and bownies. So the brownies were ';special';. Today he came home and he broke his bass, and my parents had an arguement and made my mom say for the millionth time; I want to run away.

I don't know what to do? I think he's going to die soon. My grandfather died of a heartattack when he was 54, my uncle (the oldest) died almost 4 years ago from liver failure at 54. My dad is 52 soon to be 53 on July 8th. i know hes smokes ciggs. I think he smokes pot and drinks more at practice, but i dont know. i kinda want to run away with my mom, but I want my father to walk me down the isle on my wedding day. But whatever we tell him he wont follow. Maybe a day, but thats it. I don't know what to do.What do I do with my Dad?
Your dad is going to die young too and their is nothing you can do to change it. He doesn't see it in the reasoned rational way that you do. He is hooked on the booze and the lifestyle so rationalises at every point.

It you could make him stop, can you imagine how miserable his longer life would be? It is sad particularly for you because he will probably never be who you want him to be. Similar situations with loved ones who wont see the need to stop drinking are being played out all over the world. Talk to someone at Alanon - they are people learning to accept their powerlessness over a loved one drinking. They will change your way of viewing his drinking without rejecting him. Good luck to you and mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment