Friday, October 22, 2010

Trouble with interfering MIL?

I have spoken to my husband on multiple occasions about his mother overstepping her boundaries. I don't allow her to visit often and rarely go to my in-laws house (though I love my FIL). However, since becoming pregnant, she has pushed her way into our daily routines, dropping by just as I'm putting my daughter down for a nap, which gets her hyper and disrupts her night time sleeping patterns. Normally, I would go by the adage of not everyone gets along with their MIL. My problems are more deep-rooted. When I first started dating my husband, I let his mother watch my daughter while we went on a date. When I picked her up, she smelled like marijuana. When I asked MIL about it, she said she did it outside while the baby was asleep, as if that is excusable. My husband was raised by his grandmother because of his mother's drug abuse. On our wedding day, she walked around complaining that she might as well die because nobody was paying any attention to her. Every six months or so, she has some new, incurable disease. Last Thanksgiving it was a hole in her heart, and at Easter is was an inoperable brain tumor. My husband's siblings are now turning attention to me because I will have the newest addition next April, which roughly coincides with MIL's next ailment. This woman is driving me out of my mind. My husband has spoken to her, but she says it is her right to be a part of my entire pregnancy as it is HER grandchild.

With Thanksgiving coming up, how do I handle her?It is unavoidable as we spend Thanksgiving with my husband's side of the family and Christmas with mine. Any ideas on how to cope through 15 hours of this lady? (I do most of the cooking, so I have to be there.) I don't want to be arrested for manslaughter at 19w pregnant.Trouble with interfering MIL?
LOL!!! I don't think we want you arrested for manslaughter at 19 wks pregnant. My dad was similar to your MIL when I got pregnant with my first. He's a good guy, but he has a mental illness where he constantly believes he is sick and dying. I was/am a teen mom, so when I told them I was pregnant, instead of trying to help me move in the right direction he talked about how I had screwed HIS life over. lol. I heard about that for 38 wks! When I moved in with my fiance he would come by our house to ';check on us.'; Then he would talk about what a terrible head ache he had, how his back hurt, and how he just wanted to take a nap, and he would fall asleep on my couch. I found there was really nothing I could do, so I moved to Alaska, and because he's too cheap to pay to see us he leaves us alone.

Don't kill your MIL. lol. It might ruin your relationship with your FIL.

Best of luck!!!Trouble with interfering MIL?
im sorry, i deal with a FIL who i cannot stand...it sucks being stuck where you cannot really say anything...but even when your husband does it helps ZERO.



i would say get tipsy beforehand...but yea, you dont need to do that. idk how to tell you to deal with it cause everyone has different personalities and takes ';news'; of being annoying different. so what may ';work'; (yea right, nothing works) with my FIL probably wont with her. and honestly, i dont think it ever stops unless you finally lash out and let everything you have always wanted to say be said...but that may start a big family feud, and is not worth it. sorry, but maybe just avoid HER even though you cannot avoid being in the same house.
I have two drama queens in my family that do the same thing, my mom and her mother, So I know it is hard to deal with but hang in there. You can't kill her and you can't make her vanish so just try your hardest to keep her at a distance because smoking pot while watching your daughter is a huge red flag. My advice to you is tell her to stay away from you because she is causing you alot of stress that you and the baby don't need then explain that to your husband. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment